Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11th

RJ, you were lucky enough not to be born yet on September 11th 2001. Your mom and I were just dating. It was a beautiful September morning. At the time I was working for American Computer Associates. The day started like any other day. I was on my way to Mahanoy Area High School to replace some hard drives in some of their schools computers. One of the teacher, Mr Whiteknight (sp?) told me that a plane had struck the World Trade Center. At first I thought it was a joke, when I saw it on TV, I thought it must have been some kind of human error on the part of the pilot. No one know any details yet of what was taking place.
The classroom I was on had the news coverage on TV and I watched in shock as another plane hit the 2nd tower. Ok, this is getting scary. Then they announced that the pentagon was hit, and another plane crashed in PA. I was realy scared, I did not know what was happening or what was going to happen next. It took me much longer than it should have to replace those hard drives as I could not take my eyes of the television. It was only the 2nd attack on American soil. It was frieghtening beyond what words can describe. That day there was so much uncertantity, so much confusion. Everything that day took me much longer than normal because I was in shock. I remember hanging out at work about an hour longer than normal just talking with my coworkers about what happened. I remember getting to talk to your mom and sharing our feelings about it all.
I hope you never have to experience that kind of feeling and insecurity in your lifetime.
What I hope you will get to experience, was the way the country united. It is a shame it took such a tragedy for everyone to come together as one. Since, there has become such a divide purely based on politics. I really hope that we can find that unity without another tragedy. When America is united, it is truly the best country in the world, when we want we can do whatever we want.

No comments:

Post a Comment